Multifaceted artist, Mark Ballas, takes the spotlight for this week’s #DancerDose! Most famously recognized for his work on Dancing with the Stars, Ballas has stopped at nothing to showcase his skillset to the world. Earning himself a slew of accolades, Ballas is a force to be reckoned with. Early Life Ballas grew up in […]
1% Dancer > 0% Dancer – How to Achieve Your Dance Goals One Percent At A Time
April 26th, 2016 by Roy Patterson
The best way to achieve your dance goals is 1% at a time. Step by step, pirouette by pirouette, focusing one percent at a time will guide you to achieving success this competition season and beyond.
Pick one arena in which you want to improve:
Set aside a ritual so you can become 1% better every day in that arena.
Sure, there will be some setbacks in your dance growth journey. So what? At the end of a year you will still be way ahead of where you started.
Pick your arena to get stronger:
- Being a better friend.
- Being a more supportive team member.
- Being more kind in general.
- Increasing the number of your rotations.
- Improving your performance skills.
- Becoming more flexible.
- Getting better at lengthening your legs.
Choose your ways to become 1% stronger every day:
- Practice! In the studio, at home, in your backyard, with friends, with your stuffed animals. It doesn’t matter where or how, just practice.
- Read! There are many resources available to help you achieve your dance goals. Ask your studio director and teachers for a recommendation, or check out this list.
- Discuss! Reach out to your teachers and let them know which area you’re trying to become 1% stronger in. They might have some great tips to help you reach your goal!
- Watch! Watching fun shows like So You Think You Can Dance can help inspire you to achieve your goals, and so can asking your teacher for a list of dance instructional videos to watch.
- Attend! Every single dance class matters. Every opportunity you have to work on becoming a 1% stronger dancer is important. Be there. Be present.
- Journal! Every night, write down what you did to become 1% stronger that day. Tracking your progress is the best way to see what steps you’re taking are actually helping you achieve your goals, and are a nice reminder that every 1% matters.
- Share! The best way to achieve your goals is to have friends and family hold you accountable. Talk about your goals, and what your action plan is to become a 1% stronger dancer every day.
- OBSESS! Make everything you do be about bringing you 1% closer to your dance goals. Don’t let anything hold you back on your growth journey.
There are only 24 hours in the day!
If you want to be the best version of YOU, you have to put in the time to get your art and your amazingness as a human and as a dancer into the world.
1% > 0%.
POST BLOG WORKSHOP
1 – What is one arena you WANT to get better in?
2 – What action will you take to grow in that arena every day?
Michael Ian Cedar is the Lead Producer at StarQuest and has been a part of the Dance Competition world since 2001.